Saturday 21 November 2009

Encounters - Last Day

I have just moved seat to be near a table where Andrea Arnold and Eran Creevy are having a debate with a few other filmmakers, and the curator of the festival. Proper stalker stuff. 


The two directors were part of an excellent discussion under the title of Shorts 2 Features. Everyone had an energy and vitality about them, which was a real antidote to a lot of the doom and gloom stuff surrounding Encounters. I feel refreshed and enthusiastic: I want to start writing now for a new film. 


This is my first time at a festival and I have to say that with all these directors around, all these films, and all these voices, hopes and dreams, its daunting. Not every one of these filmmakers can do what they want, (invariably make a feature), and typically for me, I'm sensitive to the sense of loss of talent and aspirations that must happen to the majority of these people. I hope  it won't happen to me! But it would be arrogant of me to think that it won't, and that my films will be worthwhile. Then again, it won't and they are.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Doug,

    Its Dave here from the festival, was great meeting you. I wish you all the best getting funding for your future projects. You have a good attitude and approach to getting your stuff out there and seen so "good on ya" and good luck! keep in touch.

    laters, Dave
    http://dvdomalley.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    I think most of us feel a similar sort of fear over our ambitious nature and the feeling that there isn't enough room for all of us to succeed. Whether it be film, music, politics or journalism. I don't think it's enough just to simply let your work do the talking either. It takes a consitant effort and pursuit. It is very worrysome indeed and helping hands are few and far between. However lets just go for it and at least we can say we tried.

    Seen this the other day, maybe you'll like it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji6P-nmT8d0&feature=fvw

    Kev

    ReplyDelete