Thursday 19 November 2009

Encounters - Best of British 2

Sometimes you can learn more from watching the poorer short films out there. From this depressing selection there were two films with fresh ideas and a bit of vitality about them, and they were both animations. The live action ones were, at their worst, incomprehensible. They've inspired me to make a list of things not to do in my next film. 


- no more characters washing their face at the sink, then having a good look at themselves after a traumatic event. I've seen this happen in four films so far, its worked in some, but thats a repetitive trend I'm keen to avoid. I blame the Sopranos, Tony did that all the time, and it was cool. 


- Just don't bother with an opening premise that keeps you in suspense if you don't make it clear at the end or leave it open-ended. Alexander Mackendrick wrote a lot about suspense, and he would take offense at this. 


- Dreary films with no humour or heart have put me off any of my darker ideas. I want my films most of all to be striking and fresh. Out of all the dark shorts i've seen so far, very little leave me feeling exhilarated or positive about making films, or life for that matter. 


Next up - a lecture on 'how to get it out there'.

No comments:

Post a Comment