Monday 8 March 2010

Micmacs

I seen this film when it was the opening gala of the Glasgow Film Festival on the 18th Feb. Jean Pierre Jeunet was there in person, and with all the glamour (and free goodie bag) at every sold out seat, there was a very excitable atmosphere. 


We weren't let down, especially with Jean Pierre Jeunet's enthusiasm and warmth, and the exhilarating first 10 minutes of Micmacs a Tire-larigot. It could have made for an immense short film in its own right. I haven't seen Up, but surely this could compete with its infamous opening sequence. The film was aptly summed up by Jeunet as a live action Pixar/Disney film, and I don't think I can do better than that. In an otherwise kid's orientated film, Jeunet injects a sudden burst of adult sexuality in a lap dance scene. He does this in almost all of his films. Just as you think its safe for the family, the film takes a seedy, but strangely innocent, turn into a red light district. It must come from his house in Montmartre, Paris's cultural sector. 


In his interview after the film, and in subsequent interviews, Jeunet asks budding filmmakers if they want to 'be a film director' or 'make films'. There is a crucial difference, and it certainly made me question the reasons behind my commitment. I concluded the latter, but cursed my laziness in cultivating my creativity. Enough soul searching. The best thing I took from his talk was his objective to 'have an idea in every scene' in the same way that a Pixar and Disney film has. This really made me think about the effort he puts into his films. He's only made 3 films in the last decade, and this must be because of the detail and effort he puts in every scene. Putting an idea across and telling a story effectively to an audience is enough for most filmmakers. Jeunet wants more. He wants all the mise-en-scene, theme, character and plot functioning. Then he wants an idea on top of that. 


I felt inspired at the end of the film and talk, and will try and take his enthusiasm and dedication into the next film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment