Friday 26 February 2010

A Prophet

In many ways A Prophet is a classically American film. It a rags to riches tale; a perverted version of the American Dream, or more aptly, a French version of the American Dream. 


At the end of The Godfather, the hero of the piece is in a morally terminal decline, and at the end of Scarface the hero's period at the top is ended in brutal fashion. Whereas in A Prophet, you can't help but feel pride in just how far the hero, your boy, has climbed in such adversity. I've never rooted for, and invested in, an anti-hero in the way that I did when i was immersed in this film. In some respects, and without revealing plot, Malik comes away unscathed from his 6 years in prison. 


I was recently at a story writing seminar as part of the Glasgow Film Festival, and the best thing I got from it is that character is everything and your film sprouts from strong character. Jacques Audiard's film has an unforgettable character in the soil of his film, and it makes for one of the best films of recent years simply for how it gripped and occupied me for its two and a half hours. 


I know it was shot handheld, in social realist mode, like so many other european films, but it completely transcended that, and showed what cinema is really capable of in terms of hitting you intellectually and emotionally. I can't wait to see it again and find out how Audiard achieved that. Its something that I want all my films to aspire to. Then again, I would love to have a similar reaction with a non-violent film. Its a rare thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment